Fellow audio nerds! We’re back. After a long (inadvertent) haitus, BA is back. Michael gives a breakdown of how audio works based on a great analogy by Steve Guttenberg, then digs into a bunch of your questions. Then, Harris pops in with a breakdown of the NY Audio Show! Enjoy!
That “Punch you in the chest” feeling when your favorite song really moves you.
Although subwoofers are easy to plug in and turn up loud, that doesn’t give us a true audiophile experience.
We want to feel it…but only if it’s being called upon. So, in this episode, President and Managing Partner of SVS Sound Gary Yacoubian and Marketing Director Nicholas Brown sit down at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival and shower their knowledge upon us!
We dig into tons of topics, including:
- The “Subwoofer Crawl”
- How to integrate a sub into a 2 channel and multichannel system
- How to set up multiple subs in one room
- Is EQ necessary?
- How much movement makes a difference in the sound
- How SVS can help you tune your system
- Tons and tons and tons more.
Consistently at these shows, David Solomon from Peachtree Audio and Andrew Jones from Elac are fabulous demo-music-pickers to make their gear sound great. I conned David into sharing his Tidal playlists with us, so you can hear how great your system sounds with great music.
To play, you should be able to click the link and Tidal will open. Then “favorite” or “add to playlist” or “create playlist”. You need to be logged in for it to work.
Dave’s Faves (Click title for direct link)
Dave’s Fave’s II (Click title for direct link)
On this episode of Beginner Audiophile Harris and Michael talk about what a pro-audio show is like, and our secret to maintaining consistency as we audition gear. Michael then reviews the Sonus Faber Principia 1 Bookshelf Speakers, and we get into the picks of the week!
One thing to add:
If you are using a flash drive for your auditioning, make sure you include FLAC, AIFF, and the highest res MP3, because you never know what gear they’ll have at the other end.
Gear Guide & Music Talk:
- Sonus Faber Principia 1 Bookshelf Speaker
- OPPO Sonica DAC
- Paradigm Studio 60 Speakers
- Marantz SR7009 Receiver
- Emotiva XPA–5 Amplifier
- SVS Subwoofer
- Pro-Ject Turntables
- IKEA Ivar Shelf Unit
- QUAD Downfiring Sub
- Rialto 600
- Michael’s Custom Shelf On Instagram
- Made in America Festival
- Monster Cables
- Beats by Dre
- The Show – High End Audio Show
- Rocky Mountain Audio Show
- Sprout ELAC System Integrated Amplifier by PS Audio
- Audioengine HD3 Speakers
- AudioEngine B2 Speakers
- KEF Q350 Speakers
- Schiit Phono Preamp
- ELAC Debut B6 Speakers
- Bottom Firing speaker Port
- Learn how to network better with Michael’s free Conferencetopia Course
- Steely Dan
- Listen to Aja by Steely Dan
- Listen to Can’t Buy a Thrill by Steely Dan on Tidal
- Listen to Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan on Tidal
- Listen to Countdown to Ecstasy by Steely Dan on Tidal
- Listen to Katy Lied by Steely Dan on Tidal
- How to save a Search on craigslist
Follow us on Instagram
Today we’re talking a bit of turntables, and what it takes to set one up. Turntables used to be the “gold standard” for listening, until digital files came along. Now, we are romanticizing the process…and it’s well worth it. After talking turntables, We also dig into a question or two, and give you the picks of the show!
Gear Guide & Music Talk:
- Audio Engine AptX Turntable
- Capitol Records
- Frank Sinatra
- Beats By Dre
- The Grateful Dead
- Dolby Atmos
- Bose Cube
- The Show
- Queen Bohemian Rhapsody Pure Audio On Amazon
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Pro-ject Audio Essential 3 Turntable
- Pro-ject Audio Signature 12 Turntable
- Rega Record Player
- Ohm Acoustics
- Dynabecker Ruby Cartridge
- Music Hall Turntables By Roy Hall
- Send Your Cds To Murfie For Streaming Anywhere
- Pioneer Audio
- Amazon Fire
- Listen To Grebfruit 2 By Benny Greb
- Famous Blue Raincoat By Jennifer Warnes On Tidal
- Koko Taylor on Tidal
- 1812 Overture
On today’s episode, after we catch up, we talk about unboxing some new Sonus Faber and Pro-Ject gear, including Michael’s first Turntable. Then we jump into how to audition new audio gear, especially speakers. We review the 1moreusa Quad Driver earbuds, and finally wrap it up with our picks of the week!
Make sure you subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast app!